Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: super 8mm depth of field charts

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Bobby Peru's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I'm a student filmmaker who recently purchased a Canon 514XL-S. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a depth of field chart for super 8. I've heard of them for 35 and 16, but not for 8. They're kind of like those mileage charts, with two axis containing cities and the distance between them listed where they meet, except of course, the variables in this case are f-stop and focal length. Any advice anyone?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can find them in the book--Shot By Shot. Otherwise if you can't get that book email me and I will Xerox some for you. Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Depth of field does not depend film gauge. If you have one for 35mm you have one for super 8.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the problem with 35 mm charts is that they are for lenses in the >20mm range, which is approaching extreme telephoto for super 8 use. if you were to find a depth of field chart for 6mm in your 35 mm book, i'd be very surprised.

    by the way, what is "shot by shot"? not the blue one about staging scenes, right?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It does depend on gauge--It makes a who hell of a lot of differance. Super8 has a very high depth of field. It is like still photography. 35mm has a lot more DOF than 4X5. If you want charts I will send them to you. As for "Shot by Shot"--it is a little red book that is for people that want to get a brief overview of what it takes to make a movie. It is not the best book but I bought for the Super8 DOF charts.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    nigel, are you suggesting that if you cut out an 6x4 mm area from the middle of an exposed 35 mm frame, you increase the depth of field? super 8 has greater depth of field than 35 mm because you use shorter lenses, but a 20 mm lens will always be a 20 mm lens and have the same depth of field as a 20 mm lens.

    /mattias

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Bobby Peru's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks everyone for replying, I really appreciate it. I've been looking around for Shot by Shot, but I can't seem to find it. What is the author's name? That might make it easier to track. As far as the depth of field charts go, I'm really, really surprised that I haven't seen them actually posted on this site or any other sites dedicated to 8mm. It seems like good information for a web site. Just a suggestion. Thanks again.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Bobby Peru's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Hey y'all. Still no luck on this book. Hey Nigel, if you don't mind, I'll take you up on your offer of photocopying those charts. Thanks a million.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Matt--

    Check you ASC manual you will see there is a diffence in the DOF between formats even with the same lens.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ptryk's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2000
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    is it possible to post a copy of the DOF charts on the web for all to see? i for one am interested, and feel a bit sheepish to ask for personal photocopies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •